Fort Garry MB Church, Winnipeg, celebrated 50 years Nov. 8–10, 2013, with a casual reception, banquet, and celebration service featuring former pastor Dan Unrau as guest speaker. A group of MBBC students began an inner-city Sunday school ministry in the Logan Avenue community which grew to become Gospel Light Church in 1956, then Fort Rouge MB in 1959, finally setting down roots in 1963 with a new building on Pembina Highway in a growing part of the city with John Wall as founding pastor. Fort Garry intentionally held all its ministries in English. Fort Garry has participated in the establishment of 3 Winnipeg MB churches: Westwood Community Church in 1979; “daughter” St. Vital (now Crossroads) MB in 1987; FaithWorks, established by 2 pastors and a group of members in 2002. Fort Garry is currently supporting “Venture Winnipeg,” with the goal of forming missional communities that fellowship, worship, serve, and are discipled together. Current membership is 399 with Carl Heppner as lead pastor.
New Life Christian Church in Scarborough, Ont., celebrated 50 years, Nov. 23. This multicultural congregation is the only dual-membership (MB and Brethren in Christ) church in Ontario. Apr. 8, 2001, New Life officially held its first service as a congregation consisting of members from 5-year-old MB New Covenant Christian Fellowship, founded by Vidya Narimalla, and 38-year-old Bridlewood Brethren in Christ, founded Nov. 23, 1963, by pastor Paul Hostetler. Currently, the congregation of 100 consists largely of people in cultural transition, including international students, mostly from South East Asia and Central America. Benjamin Devadason serves as pastor.