A celebration service Nov. 2, 2014, marks 50 years of Forest Grove Community Church, Saskatoon. Jan. 12, 1964, 99 members from Central MB Church, Saskatoon, chartered Nutana MB Church with a vision for evangelism in the university area of the city. Conference evangelist Henry H. Epp became the first pastor. A commitment to growing membership and expanding vision led to rechristening as Forest Grove and construction of a new building in Attridge, a growing area of the city, completed in 1984. Always a mission-supporting church, Forest Grove formalized a long-term partnership with MB Mission work in Panama in 2005 and with Saskatoon’s The Bridge ministry in 2010. Currently, Bruce Ens is lead pastor to the congregation totalling 638 members. Pastor Don Froese launched a second campus in the Broadway area of the city in 2010 with a second gathering begun in 2013.
Though South Langley (B.C.) Church is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, the congregation’s history predates its charter date as Brookswood MB Church, Nov. 22, 1964, with 17 members and George Warkentin as pastor. People from East Aldergrove MB began holding Sunday school classes in the Brookswood area in 1948, and in 1958, the youth group began to raise money for a building to house a Brookswood congregation for which land was purchased in 1959. The congregation moved to its current location on 22nd Avenue in 1977 and finished a two-phase major renovation to the site in 2012. South Langley has operated Sonshine Street Preschool out of the church since 1986 and opened a daycare in 2013. The current membership is 232 with Wes Dahl serving as lead pastor.
Snow Lake (Man.) Christian Centre celebrated its 40th anniversary Oct. 18, 2014, at their annual fall supper, a community outreach. Mennonite Brethren began holding day camps in the area in 1970. Ken Neufeld, who was day camp director since 1973, opened a religious supply store and began holding services in the community in 1974. The congregation was officially chartered in 1979 and moved into a newly constructed church building in 1980. Since 1983, Community Fellowship Church, Newton, Man., has fostered a sister church relationship and sends a delegation to help with the fall supper. The congregation’s size and activities have waxed and waned with the fortunes of the local mine that anchors the community. A small group continues to meet regularly with a small council and moderator as leadership. “God is continuing to move in our small congregation,” says member Velma Yates.