Our Board was able to meet in-person for two days in BC in October 2022. There was great appreciation for the value in being able to work in-person. Our goal with this is to provide you highlights on our life and work as CCMBC.
The major decision was the appointment of a new National Faith and Life Director. Ken Esau, Columbia Bible College Bible Prof, has been filling in the post for the past year on an interim basis and following a search process the Board was very pleased to call Ken to an ongoing appointment beginning November 1st! Ken brings not only exceptional Biblical and theological knowledge, but also a winsome presence to teaching and leading. We love his strong collaborative leadership!
A second significant decision was made to reshape and reschedule our National Assembly. We failed to reach quorum at our June 2022 National Assembly. Out of the feedback and suggestions and our desire to make a move which will hopefully permit us to provide both in-person opportunity and online access, the Board agreed to the following as an experiment for the next while:
- Hold a two-hour online AGM to process the Audit and approve an Auditor, and appoint Directors June 8, 2023. This meets our required obligations on the financial level.
- Host a hybrid (In-Person and Online) Equip Conference and National Assembly in November 2023. Our hope is that the value of providing both Equipping and Key National Decision work will justify the costs of travel to such an event, and that its timing in November will avoid the very busy spring convention schedule.
Work continues for the following initiatives:
- Caring for our Pastoral leaders who are expressing significant fatigue emerging from COVID,
- Strengthening our Confessional consensus,
- Developing our CUSP (Collaborative Unified Strategic Plan), beginning with Leadership Development and Mission,
- Implementing Conferences’ recommendations re Multiply following the demerger,
- Updating our MOU with the Historical Commission, presently a joint project of the USMB and CCMBC,
- Attending to Affirmation of Women in ministry throughout CCMBC.
Our new website is up and offers easier and updated information about us, our partners, events and resources. Please check it out at: https://www.mennonitebrethren.ca/.
One of the key elements in our Collaborative Model is the scheduling of National Townhalls throughout the year. These are an opportunity for anyone in our church family to join in, learn, and share their voice on key topics – the next one is scheduled for Thursday, January 26, 2023. We’ll post more information as the date approaches.
We appreciate your prayers, thoughts, and suggestions. Please feel free to email Elton or Ron.
For the Executive Board,
Ron Penner, CCMBC Executive Board Moderator Ron.Penner@mbchurches.ca
Elton DaSilva, CCMBC National Director Elton.Dasilva@mbchurches.ca