Living Hope Church – Saskatoon
In 1998, the people at West Portal Church, Saskatoon, were stirred to plant a church. Much “ground work” took place in the Silverwood Heights neighbourhood, and on Apr. 1, 2000, Dwayne Harms was hired as the church planter. At Living Hope’s chartering service Mar. 11, 2001, 51 people became members. The congregation rented the building which they were able to purchase in 2006.Dwayne Harms, Joel Diamond, Dan Harder pastored the congregation over its 15-year history.
Living Hope concluded services June 12, 2016. Part-time transitional pastor Jake Schroeder led the dwindling congregation to healthy closure.
At Living Hope’s invitation, and after prayer and congregational discernment, Forest Grove Community Church plans to begin a third campus on this location in fall. Members from Living Hope will not automatically become members of the new congregation.
The Fire – New Hazelton, B.C.
The Fire, a Mennonite Brethren congregation in New Hazelton, B.C., closed in 2016. Affiliated with BCMB in 1962, a congregation had existed since 1949 from the evangelistic work of John F. Kornelson and George Stobbe and their families. In 2010, the congregation led by Lawrence Peterson changed its name from Community Gospel Chapel to The Fire.